Published On: Wednesday, 06 September 2017
Thompson/Okanagan Commercial Building Awards Sees Record Number of Finalists
KELOWNA – A record 37 finalists have been announced for the 9th Annual Thompson Okanagan Kootenay Commercial Building Awards, set for Thursday, September 28 at Manteo Resort.
“This is the most finalists we’ve ever had, and the variety and diversity of the entries is outstanding,” says Mark MacDonald of Business Examiner Thompson Okanagan, which coordinates the event, adding that just over half of the finalists are from the city of Kelowna. “It seems the level of excellence rises each year in commercial and industrial buildings in the region.”
Black Press is a Media Sponsor for the event, with Gold Sponsors RE/MAX Commercial, MNP LLP and the Southern Interior Construction Association. Category sponsors include Woodworks BC, RBC Royal Bank and Greensheet Construction Review.
Radio personality Tamara Joel of Kelowna’s EZ Rock will serve as Master of Ceremonies for the event, which celebrates the best in commercial and industrial buildings completed prior to July 31, 2017 in the Thompson (Kamloops and Salmon Arm), Okanagan (Vernon to Osoyoos) and Kootenay (Nelson to Cranbrook and Golden) regions.
Construction and Contractor companies that worked on Finalist nominations this year included: Sterling Okanagan Builders, Sawchuk Developments Co. Ltd., Norson Construction, Plan B Contractors, Ritchie Contracting and Design Ltd., VanMar Constructors Ltd., Paulson Fire and Flood, Edgecombe Builders, Jabs Construction, Greyback Construction Ltd., Houle Electric Ltd., MacKay Contracting, New Dawn Developments Ltd., Roger LeBlanc, Bird Construction, Candel Custom Homes, Maida Custom Homes, CentiMark Ltd., Norsteel Building Systems Ltd., Culos Development (1996) Ltd., Heartwood Homes Ltd., AIM Development Management and Marketing and Orchards Walk Developments Inc.
A select group of independent judges will pore over the submissions from each finalist to determine winners in each category.
Finalists for this year’s award are, by community:
- Kamloops: The Residence at Orchard Walk.
- Vernon: BCAA Vernon, The Heights, SQM Research Centre, Underwood Ashton.
- Coldstream: Restoration Lands.
- Kelowna: Accelerator Okanagan, Airport Village Shopping Centre, BMID Ultraviolet, Central Green, Douglas Lane, Epic Citihomes, Foundry Kelowna, Gateway Plaza, Houle Electric, Kelly O’Bryan’s, Kelowna Fruit Stand, Kelowna Police Services Building, Manors at Mountainview, Okanagan Centre for Innovation, Okanagan Mission Secondary, Sandher Fruit Packers, Telus.
- West Kelowna: Lakeview Village Shopping Centre.
- Peachland: Greata Ranch Winery.
- Penticton: 8th Generation Wine Shop, Ashley Homestore, Bright From the Start Child Care, Penticton Lakeside Resort Hotel, Unit Electric.
- Osoyoos: Osoyoos Fire Hall, Osoyoos Indian Band Administration Building.
- Castlegar: Pinnacle Professional Accounting.
- Cranbrook: CMHA for the Kootenays, Idlewild Dam, Salvation Army, Sonja’s Garden Peter Johnson Complex.
Tickets to the event are $125, and can be purchased by visiting the following link.