Published On: Wednesday, 09 May 2018
New Island Business Opportunity Building Steam
PORT ALBERNI - One of Port Alberni’s most significant business opportunities in years is now available in our 1912 train station at the entrance to Harbour Quay. Harbour Quay and the nearby Fishermen’s Harbour, Tyee Landing and Maritime Heritage Gallery make up the community’s primary tourist area on the Alberni Inlet.
The 6,063 square foot station is a very attractive, well-kept building with two washrooms (2 stalls each), two rooms on the main floor, and four garage bays fronting onto a nicely-sized paved area that looks on to a busy Argyle Street. The building is owned by the City and managed by the McLean Mill Society which is looking to increase both vibrancy and revenue from the site.
In their assessment of the Expressions of Interest, the MMS will give weight to the following factors:
- Celebration of the historic value of the site
- Offering of products and/or services that complement both the history and the uniqueness of the community and its peoples
- Provision of products and/or services that both locals and visitors will purchase/enjoy
- Creation of a presence that draws locals and visitors on a year round basis
- Provision of revenue to the MMS.
- Ability to continue steam train ticketing activities or have those taken over
A Google Street View of the heritage building can be found here.
The deadline for the Expression of Interest is May 31st, 2018. The full EOI can be found at https://www.mcleanmill.ca/join-our-team-0. For more information, contact the Society’s Executive Director Deanna Beaudoin: phone 250 723-1376; email email@example.com
Pat Deakin is the Economic Development Manager for the City of Port Alberni. He can be reached at 250-720-2527 or Patrick_deakin@portalberni.ca