Published On: Wednesday, 07 February 2018
Awards to Recognize Excellence in Qualicum Beach
QUALICUM BEACH - The Qualicum Beach Chamber of Commerce has announced the finalists for its annual Community Awards, to be presented at a special gala event to be held on Wednesday, February 21st at the Qualicum Beach Civic Centre.
Each year the Chamber honours individuals and businesses for their contribution to the community following a nomination period during which residents and visitors are encouraged to nominate those they consider deserving of recognition.
Response was tremendous again this year with many deserving people and businesses being nominated for the seven different categories. Sadly, from all the nominees, there can only be three finalists. The finalists for this year's Qualicum Beach Community Awards are:
- Business of the Year, sponsored by The Career Centre:
- Captivating Details
- Bodysculptors Fitness
- The Qualicum Toy Shop
- Citizen of the Year, sponsored by Qualicum Foods:
- Judy Southern
- Mary Brouilette
- Volunteer of the Year, sponsored by Society of Organized Services:
- John McLenahan;
- Tom Davies
- Butch Gayton
- New Business of the Year, sponsored by Katherine Wilk - Royal LePage - Parksville Qualicum Beach Realty
- Purple Essentials
- Oceanside Art Studio
- LoveShack Libations
- Newsmaker of the Year, sponsored by Parksville Qualicum Beach News:
- Quality Foods founders John Briuolo and Ken Schley sell their interest in business that grew to 13 stores and 1,000+ employees in 35 years
- Chesapeake Shores returns for second year of filming
- Lynne Noble guides her senior women's curling rink to the BC championship and a bronze medal at nationals.
- Outstanding Customer Service, Sponsored by Pharmasave #182
- Mid-Isle Veterinary Hospital
- Ken Bowerman (Quality Foods)
- Pharmasave Photography Department
- Young Entrepreneur, Sponsored by Coastal Community Credit Union
- Rebekah Anne - Bekah-Anne Accessories
- Mandolyn Johanssen- Island SodaWorks Bistro
- Jenny Hughes - Oceanside Art Studio
The Chamber is pleased to announce that the recipient of this year's Lifetime Achievement Award sponsored by Community Futures Central Island is Brent Johnson. The Lifetime Achievement award strives to recognize an individual in the community that has helped foster business growth, shown a strong commitment to the community, has a history of volunteerism, demonstrates success and excellence, and serves as a role model, among other positive attributes.
Tickets for the dinner and awards presentation went on sale beginning February 1 - click for details or call Anne Dodson at 250-752-0960.